Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Essential thinking for reading Catholics.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Faith, Scarlett O'Hara-style

It is an object of no small friction in my marriage that I think Gone With The Wind is among the most overrated wastes of celluloid in the short and bitter history of man upon Creation. However, as I was being inflicted with it, in a 2nd hand smoke sort of way, I realized that in many ways Scarlett is a good metaphor for the way we live our lives in faith. Or at least the way I do.

I have often sort of sleepwalked through my spiritual life with the attitude that "tomorrow is another day." That is: I'll repent tomorrow, I'll pray over this or that fault tomorrow, I'll strive towards improvement in this area...tomorrow. I have fixated on what others have had, and almost lost what blessings I HAVE had.

But, I have managed to realize how deeply I have been (and am!) loved. Not a bloody minute too late, either.

Because where this analogy diverges from Scarlett's path is that God DOES give a damn that we love Him, which is a whole sight better than Rhett Butler. God will respond in the way Rhett couldn't after all the betrayals and empty promises and false starts, etc.

Now that I have placed myself fully under His care and feeding, with God as my witness I'll never go hungry again.

-J.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home