Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Essential thinking for reading Catholics.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Progress!

I want to offer my prayers (and ask for yours) for my friend CR who was ordained Saturday. I guess that makes him Father CR now, huh? Anyway, not 5 hours after being ordained he was celebrating his first Mass. Of course, being a young (20something) man, his first Mass had lots of acoustic guitars, tambourines, bongos and he "rapped" the homily.

Just kidding. It's 2006, not 1972, and young men ordained to the priesthood don't do that whole bongos 'n' Birkenstocks hootenanny nearly as often.

Instead, the Mass was a Missa Normativa, with a generous use of Latin (which doubtlessly helped as he and his family are Italian and SoFla is a community more-or-less equally divided among native English- and Spanish-speakers) and all the "yells bells and smells" that one associates with that long forgotten attribute of reverence.

Which goes to show he is a liturgical moderate, as I am.

God bless you and your ministry, Fr. CR!

AMDG,

-J.

P.S. Yes, Karen, he gave a hearty plug to Vocation Sunday...and all communion was distributed by priests. (There were eleventy gazillion priests concelebrating.)

2 Comments:

  • At 9:42 PM, May 09, 2006 , Blogger Karen said...

    The last time I saw eleventy gazillion priests on the altar was in Venice in 2000. I can't even imagine what that would look like. We had three and a deacon and I was grateful. Not that I got anywhere near any of them.

     
  • At 2:15 PM, May 10, 2006 , Blogger Joe said...

    We're very fortunate in our parish. It has always been seen as something of an orthodox oasis and usually those priests who get too worked up about dissent are sent here. I'm sure something would have been done about this parish, but it's a rather affluent one AND an amazingly generous one.

    Apparently heterodoxy does not affect one's mathematical prowess.

    -J.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home