Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Essential thinking for reading Catholics.

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Blogosphere brilliance!

Tony at Catholic Pillow Fight has, in the course of a discussion on what is/isn't proper apparel in church, written the best "Cliffs Notes" on Why Catholics Go To Mass." Join me in grooving along with this gem:

I think we have lost sight of the reason we are at Mass every week.

We are at Mass that hour every week to worship our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, who is substantially real and present on the altar of sacrifice.

As a matter of fact, it is obligatory that we attend mass. And if we are excommunicated and are not allowed to receive the sacraments, attending Sunday (or Saturday evening) mass is still required. Even if we can't receive communion, we still have to go to Mass, because we owe almighty God an hour of worship a week.

We can feed the poor, clothe the naked, visit the prisoner, give drink to the thirsty and attend to people's physical needs the other 6 days and 23 hours. But for that single hour, we need to concentrate on our own spiritual sustenance, and gather to communally worship God with over a billion other people praying the same prayers at the same time and joining their praise with each other, and the heavenly host.

God gave Moses a commandment on Mount Sinai. It was: "Keep holy the sabbath day". This is not a suggestion, it's a commandment. I take this commandment seriously, and I get a little testy, much like Jesus did, when people treat his Father's house like a marketplace (in the 21st century, the mall).

So I won't pull out a knotted cord, and beat people in church about the head with it, but I will swing what I like to think of as a well timed pillow.

It probably won't help in my church, because it isn't my place to correct people who are, in my opinion, "dissing" my Lord and their fellow parishioners on a weekly basis, but maybe someone who reads this will understand where I'm coming from, and why it's important to enter into communion not only with each other (which seems to be the focus in many parishes) but with Jesus.

Jesus accepts us into Himself. We, in turn, accept Him into ourselves really, truly, and substantially, completing the "communion". This is what we need to concentrate on during that one hour or so of weekly mass.


Stellar stuff!

Read the whole thing here.

AMDG,

-J.