Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Essential thinking for reading Catholics.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Here we go again. Again.

To my non-Catholic pals (or to the Catholic ones who are fed up to the back teeth with the Jesuit thing) this would be an ideal time to reorganize the sock drawer.

OK.

So I'm over at the lovely and gracious Karen's reading about her husband breakfasting on Scotch and cheeseburgers and--mirable dictu!--not feeling so hot afterwards. Or about her La Bamba Airlines episode on the way to meeting Francis Cardinal Arinze to ask him what the deal is on Catholics in SoCal not being allowed to kneel. (Seriously, WTH is up with that?)

Then I ran across a post referencing a blog entry by American Phoenix on why she can no longer support the Jesuits.

Uh oh.

Steve Bogner, in his brief encapsulation of Contemplatives In Action, mentions that the Jesuit way is all about tension and balance. Which is appropriate to this entry because I am real-l-ly trying to stay balanced with the cubic goatload of tension brought about by posts detailing the current awfulness of the Society of Jesus. I am upset because while I believe much of what she wrote to be in line with my thinking, her post falls under the category of "the patient is too sick...shoot him."

Let's, for the moment, grant everything she wrote is 100% true and accurate and fully in context. (I fear she may be far closer to 100% right than I would wish.) What does it do to the spirit of a young, orthodox man discerning a vocation to the Company? Whatever it does do, it's likely not positive. It could give cover to other folks to issue similarly discouraging missives. What does a post like this do to the orthodox, solid Jesuits (in formation or already ordained) out there? I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it until I am blue in the face (I'm a husband, so I am well-versed in this): The way to fix the problems which beset the Society is by praying up brigades of orthodox, solid, faithful men to become Jesuit priest and brothers (everyone forgets the Brothers!).

We, as Catholics, NEED these men to become Jesuits.

I was once taught by Fr. Felipe Arroyo, SJ that one ought never complain about something one is unable or unwilling to fix. Well, we're able to participate in the fix. We can pray for the Society. We can find solid, orthodox, "old school" Jesuits (ordained or in formation) and manifest our support for them. We can channel our donations to where these sorts of Jesuits are. I'm not going to give up on the Jesuits.

And you can't make me.

AMDG,

-J.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:05 AM, July 16, 2006 , Blogger Jesuit John said...

    I appreciate your support. It is truly Ignatian.

     
  • At 11:27 AM, July 16, 2006 , Blogger Joe said...

    That you have. But wait! That's not all! You (individually and jointly) are also in my prayers which is more important.

    As for me, all I am and have I owe to God as He has seen fit to distribute to me through the Society of Jesus. As a consequence, I have developed something of an Ignatian taste for doing what can't be done.

    AMDG,

    -J.

    P.S. You also have a BRIGADE of Carmelite Sisters keeping you in their prayers.

     
  • At 5:37 PM, July 16, 2006 , Blogger Jesuit John said...

    Thanks a million. And, by the way, I can help you out if you are still looking for pictures of Jesuits in clerical garb! hahahahahahah

     
  • At 7:28 PM, July 16, 2006 , Blogger Joe said...

    No problem! The pictures in question were for "Mary Martha" who wanted to see a Jesuit in clerical attire. To make her feel faint with glee, I sent her one of Fr. Joseph Carola SJ in a cassock.

    AMDG,

    -J.

    P.S. If at any moment you feel spiritually turbocharged, that's the Carmelites' praying up a storm for you. They seem to have a direct line or something.

     
  • At 8:23 PM, July 25, 2006 , Blogger AmericanPhoenix said...

    Hi Joe,

    Thanks for your post. You will find that I'm actually in agreement with you more than you realize. I have responded to it at http://americancassandra.typepad.com/americanphoenix/2006/07/joe_writes_in_h.html

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home