Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Essential thinking for reading Catholics.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Karen, she hath tagged me.

I, myself, am not a meme-hunter. But in the spirit of comity and politesse and true fraternity, I accept the taggage of the lovely and gracious Karen.

1. A book that changed your life.
The Road To Serfdom by Friedrich von Hayek. One of those eye-opening sorts of things that makes you see stuff you've seen all along in a very different (and not altogether pleasing) light. Those who like their bitter truths less bitter (but no less truthful) and rather funny ought look up anything by Frédéric Bastiat. Yes, JESUITS made me read these in high school.

2. A book you've read more than once.
ANY of PG Wodehouse's Bertie & Jeeves novels. Oh, and also Don Quijote. Books I reread are "comfort books," things to which I return to cleanse my palate when I have been reading too much of one type of book and need to start afresh. Whenever reading begins to look like drudgery, I return to them.

3. A book you'd want on a deserted island.
With apologies to Holy Writ, a boatmaking manual and Rand McNally's World Atlas.

4. A book that made you laugh.
Night Of The Avenging Blowfish by John Welter is the clear winner. EVERYONE must run out and read this book. (How can you NOT love a book with the subtitle of "A novel about covert operations, love and luncheon meat"? ) ALTHOUGH IT CONTAINS a bit of a, um, "love scene." (So don't come back yelling.)

5. A book that you wish had been written.
The Stuff I Said The Four--Only Four, Mind You--Evangelists Didn't Write Down But Still Counts Anyway Because I Said It And What I Say Goes by Jesus Christ. And its sequel The WHAT Code?

6. A book you wish had never been written.
3-way tie. Das Kapital, The Communist Manifesto & Mein Kampf. That little red Chairman Mao thing is right up there, too. (Notice the dearth of links; damned if I enable you to shower ducats at these bastards.)

So there!

I tag Ryan Duns, SJ if he can find the time between flights. (Dude, rename your blog the Wounded Traveler)

AMDG,

-J.