Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Essential thinking for reading Catholics.

Friday, October 06, 2006

"To God be all the glory. ALL the glory."

No, I'm not out of the woods yet, but the trees have thinned out considerably. Those of you who have kept me and my intentions in your prayers:

1- All honor and praise and glory to Our Lord.
2- THANK YOU. Know you are in mine, always.

As I try to develop my new "sea legs" as a result of this recent episode, I now notice the things that used to go unnoticed.

I'll give you an analogy: Many years ago, in Disney World, one of the cast members told us that Orlando, FL was (I'm paraphrasing) "The lightning capital of the world" (or was it the USA?) and that's why there were THOUSANDS of lightning rods on all the buildings; the hotels, the parks, etc. I had been going to Disney World year after year, sometimes 3-4 times a year...and had never noticed this. But after the realization, I can't not see the lightning rods any more.

So it is with a given sin from which you might have thought--foolishly!--yourself free. Now I see the little tiny glimmers of pride peeking out here and there. I'm absolutely certain I'm not catching them all. But I'm catching a whole bloody lot more than I was 72 hours ago. Is there something deeper at work here? I don't know. But I do know that as I walk, ver-r-r-r-r-ry awkwardly, towards Grace, I realize how much more I still have to go AND that Our Lord is walking beside me, much like a parent holding a toddler as he tries to venture across the room.

This has been, and continues to be, a humbling and exhilirating experience. If history is any indication, it won't be something I'll enjoy but after all is said and done, I won't want to trade the "eventual me" for the "me" of three days ago. After all, Christ didn't get crucified for me to remain in comfortable ignorance regarding my own faults.

AMDG,

-J.

P.S. Just to show you how much God means business, read THIS. (And God bless Fr. P., a man fast becoming my favorite Dominican.)

2 Comments:

  • At 6:57 AM, October 11, 2006 , Blogger Steve Bogner said...

    Joe, I'll keep you in my prayers. Sounds like quite a test! I've had similar tests - much of my work is project-based, and towards the end of a project things always get a bit testy, stressful, pressurized and so on. Humility has been the answer for me; it takes the power away from pride and the sting away from failure.

     
  • At 9:32 AM, October 11, 2006 , Blogger Joe said...

    Steve,

    I am inexpressively grateful.

    The grating part is thinking that I had humility only to have it shown, without a doubt, that I was pretty deficient in that department. (Ouch and touché.)

    AMDG,

    -J.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home