Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Essential thinking for reading Catholics.

Monday, October 16, 2006

What this is and what this ain't.

You may be unaware of this, but not everyone in the Catholic blogosphere agrees with me. Sure, it's utterly incomprehensible to consider, but it's true.

The hard part is to deal with those with whom I disagree (you know who you are) charitably. The way I see it, certain viewpoints and opinions have been responsible for (or, at a bare minimum, greatly contributed to) The Mess We're In. Which upsets me. Coincidentally, this upsets a lot of people as well. However, some of those people who are as upset as I am, um, let their baser passions rise.

"Kick the ______ [group holding to a certain viewpoint] out!" they say and it's only the current state of the information society that prevents them brandishing torches and pitchforks. I feel their pain. I get upset when I read what I consider absurd and harmful things from people who really ought know better. However, I have a better response than to start hucking gravel at them. Conveniently, it comes directly from Our Lord as written by St. Mark (5:43-45, for those of you scoring at home):

"You have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbor, and hate thy enemy. But I say to you, Love your enemies: do good to them that hate you: and pray for them that persecute and calumniate you: That you may be the children of your Father who is in heaven, who maketh his sun to rise upon the good, and bad, and raineth upon the just and the unjust."

Smite them with kindness. NUKE them with charity and comity and goodwill. That doesn't mean you roll over and let their views prevail. It means be kind to them, that you may persuade them of the truth. That they may also know the truth and they may also, like you, be made free.

When people at XYZ Magazine say all manner of things about people who adhere to the Magisterium come-what-may, do not indulge your desire to rip 'em a new one. (C'mon, you KNOW who wants that sort of reaction from you, right?) When someone at some blog publishes a strongly divergent view on why we need something antediluvian as, say, The Catechism...stay your hand. When some "thinking" Catholic website starts to preen and strut its ostensible intellectual firepower with a fusillade of SAT words, stop fantasizing about correcting them with a BF Hammer.

I mean I know you want to. But don't. Like Sheriff Buford T. Justice used to say: "Y'can think about it...but don't do it."

Quickly now, what are the first two spiritual works of mercy?

OK, then...engage in those mercifully.

Off you go.

AMDG,

-J.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:25 AM, October 18, 2006 , Blogger Shan said...

    To quote Homer Simpson: "Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter."

    Good post Joe and a timely reminder.

     
  • At 6:40 AM, October 18, 2006 , Blogger Joe said...

    Thanks!

    Usually when I go about Blogville and I see posts on the need to be charitable, the tenor is something along these lines: "You guys who disagree with us, be charitable."

    But I wanted to emphasize the opposite that we ought be charitable to those with whom we disagree and especially those whom we find insufferable in their disagreement.

    I'm not worried about those on the other side of the issues being charitable to me. After all, God didn't put me in charge of their actions...just my reactions to them.

    AMDG,

    -J.

    AMDG,

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home