Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Essential thinking for reading Catholics.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

St. Matthew 13:57b

Those of you who've been following this blog's posts on the matter will not be surprised when I say "Good grief, if even a devout Jew gets it, why can't the majority of Catholics-in-charge?"

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/issuesideas/story.html?id=05138de4-37ea-4c36-80aa-bee6aee80b33

To me, this is the money quote:

"Last Saturday was my father's yahrzeit, the anniversary of his death. I spoke aloud the ancient Hebrew words of the mourners' kaddish, as my English/Yiddish-speaking father did for his father, and his Polish/Yiddish-speaking father and forefathers before him for theirs. Declaiming it in English would have no heritage meaning for me. It is a comfort to know that I could have walked into any synagogue in the world on any Sabbath, recited the same prayer, and experienced the same sense of peoplehood as I do here." (Emphasis mine.)

For he to-day that sheds his blood with me/Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile/This day shall gentle his condition.

AMDG,

-J.