Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Essential thinking for reading Catholics.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Yes, we'll win, but the score still doesn't reflect that.

I generally try to stay away from hot-button stuff. I also generally try to stay from internal church politics.

But two things have happened recently that lead me to this post. First, some disclosure. I happen to really, really, really enjoy reading Off The Record at CWNews.com, as penned by "Diogenes." Although every once in a while Diogenes will write something with wording I, myself, wouldn't have chosen, I'm not going to slag anyone over an .875 batting average. Even when his choice of words are somewhat less than charitable, Diogenes happens to be right almost all the time, and those who take exception to his posts (usually, but not always, those for whom orthodoxy and traditionalism are, um, malleable) generally do an insufficient job of explaining what error it is they perceive.

The other bit of background is that my sister and I (and our respective children--our respective spouses being stuck at their respective offices) had dinner last night. During the course of dinner, somehow the matter of Confession came up and she announced that during a given Mass, some visiting priest (not the pastor, nor any of the parochial vicars) asked everyone to write down their sins. Then he had everyone tear up the papers where said sins were scribbled and promptly absolved the congregation. My sister, who is not a kumbaya-bongos-and-tambourines sort of Catholic, had thought this was a pretty cool and efficient way to get some Penance action going on. I, being the retrograde ecclesial throwback I am, was horrified* and she was horrified that I was horrified, which I saw and called by being horrified that she was horrified that I was horrified.

So reading the most recent post by Uncle Di, I was moved to post that not all abuse of this sort takes place in California. It can take place even in fairly staid parishes. It can take place ANYtime and ANYwhere a priest places his own stamp on things above Christ's. In light of the above story, here is the "money quote" from this column:

"Question #2: How many bishops, do you think, could read the following paragraph out loud and not wet themselves laughing?
It is the right of the Christian people themselves that their diocesan bishop should take care to prevent the occurrence of abuses in ecclesiastical discipline, especially as regards the ministry of the word, the celebration of the sacraments and sacramentals, the worship of God and devotion to the Saints. [Redemptionis Sacramentum ยง24]" (Emphasis mine.)

Amazing.

-J.

* If I am unduly horrified, please feel free to post something correcting me.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:39 PM, December 06, 2006 , Blogger Veritas said...

    NOW I'M HORRIFIED!!!

    Given the conversation we three amigos had Monday night, you know what my opinion is on the pre-school act of confession.

    I sometimes wonder if these kind of priests realize that (for the most part) we are thinking, educated, and rational human beings. I mean, we're trusted with heading large corporations, and complicated projects, and the greatest of jobs: raising humans, and yet we're not trusted with the fullness of truth that Christ left His Church!

    If we are taught about confession, told why we go into the confessional one-to-one, and then told of the wonderful graces we receive in this great sacrament of mercy, I think about 99.9% of us will get it!

    "I burn with zeal for your house and taunts against you fall on me" Psalm 69

     
  • At 6:36 PM, December 07, 2006 , Blogger Karen said...

    Do I really have to tell you that I'm horrified? At least, I would be if I had any "horrified" energy left.

     
  • At 6:39 PM, December 07, 2006 , Blogger Joe said...

    I am blessed with a near-infinite capacity to be horrified. Althouh, I am more horrified at my sister than at that whackjob "Penance."

    AMDG,

    -J.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home