Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Essential thinking for reading Catholics.

Monday, January 29, 2007

Applaud for life.

OK. What do you make of this...

I'm home for lunch one day last week, and I turn on the TV and start to flip channels when I get to EWTN. They have live coverage of the March for Life. Now, regardless of the cause, coverage of these sorts of events tends to be pretty similar. You see some wide shots of the assembled throng, you see some of the characteristics of the place wherein the event is taking place and you see reporters stopping marchers to ask them the usual questions.

But then the camera cut to Justin Cardinal Rigali of Philadelphia, who was doing the closing (closing?) prayer. In doing so, he introduced the assorted bishops on the platform. He introduces Bp. X of the Diocese of Y...polite applause; he introduces Séan Cardinal O'Malley* of the Archdiocese of Boston...real applause, he introduces Abp. Z of the Archdiocese of Q...polite applause, etc., etc.

Then he introduces Bishop Finn from Kansas City and the place went NUTS. Clapping, stomping, whistling, protracted applause, the whole bit. (I'm frantically looking on YouTube for the video in question)

Question to ponder: Why do you suppose that was?

AMDG,

-J.

* His Eminence had the money quote -- and you can see why the lovely and gracious Karen granted him the status of "Ignatian Capuchin" -- with this gem: "As the populations of the Western world age, we will see that the generation of parents that aborted their own children, will be euthanized by the children who survived."

2 Comments:

  • At 9:13 AM, February 15, 2007 , Blogger Ryan Duns, SJ said...

    Hi Joe,

    Thank you so much for your comments. I suffer from a form of schizophrenia when it comes to comments...I'm always under the gun to make sure that I don't say anything terribly controversial lest I jeopardize the standing of the Society in any way.

    Your presence on my blog is a great grace - I always know I'm reaching my audience when I get your approval!

    Cheers!

    Ryan

     
  • At 9:50 AM, February 15, 2007 , Blogger Joe said...

    Your secret is safe with me.

    AMDG,

    -J.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home