Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Essential thinking for reading Catholics.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Oy, the Apostolic Exhortation, an intro

OK.

Because I am clearly deranged and am obviously getting too much rest in my life, I have decided to tackle the issue of the unspeakably bad translation of this document from the official Latin to English.

What I have thus far managed to plow through can be found here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here and here.

It'd obviously make the Blogspot servers melt and shoot sparks if I posted the (current) English, Latin, Italian, Spanish and (correctly translated) English versions in their entirety. The MS Word file I created to sort this out is 150+ pages! So, what I'll do is just post the current English version in with any sections I consider flawed or incorrect in strikeout and my translation into English in bold. The differences are stark and conclusions should be, um, readily apparent. (Charitable enough?) Any comments I consider worthwhile, I'll put in blue in a separate post. But I guesstimate these will happen once I have the whole thing wrapped up.
You can go to the Vatican site and compare this with whatever language you see fit. If you see something in this effort which you consider a mistake on my part, please email me. I don't mind being wrong (in fact, I HAVE been wrong once or twice) but I hate staying wrong. No, I am not a professional Latinologist, although I am Latin (¾ Spanish & ¼ Italian).

I noted differences even when they struck me as minor or as just odd differences in usage. I also noted the fetish of the Latin-to-English translation for "inclusive language." The very estimable Fr. Z doesn't believe this is of major importance. However, I include these references because to my mind, serve as evidence of a certain mindset at work. And yes, this takes a LONG time, thanks for asking.

AMDG,

-J.