Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Essential thinking for reading Catholics.

Saturday, May 05, 2007

The Apostolic Exhortation, Pt. 15

This covers paragraphs 70-71 of the Apostolic Exhortation. Please read my "introduction" to this effort if you haven't done so already. (Be patient, not only is the translation from Latin a bit rough, but also formatting in Blogger is a pain in the...it's my croix du jour to bear, let's just say.) The stuff I find to be incorrect will be stricken out, what I consider the best (or most approximate) translation will be in bold. If there is something that isn't in the text to be translated, but which adds sense, I put it in [brackets]. Sometimes a translated word or phrase needs a little extra help in making itself clearer, so in put any such clarification(s) [italicized in brackets]. I haven't made any comments yet, and I know that I have been VERY nitpicky in the translatin' so that anyone with a better sense of these things than I can piece together something, meaningwise, which might not have been apparent to me.

PART THREE

THE EUCHARIST, A MYSTERY TO BE LIVED

"As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me" (Jn 6:57)

The eucharistic form of the christian life

Spiritual worship – logiké latreía (Rom 12:1)

70. The Lord Jesus, who became for us the food of truth and love, speaks speaking of the gift of his life and assures us that "if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever" (Jn 6:51). This Yet this "eternal life" begins in us even now, thanks to the transformation effected in us by at this time because of the changes [literally, "mutation"] the gift of the Eucharist effects within us: "He who eats me will live because of me" (Jn 6:57). These words of Jesus make us realize allow us to comprehend how the mystery "believed" and "celebrated" contains an innate in itself power making it the principle of new life within us and the form of our Christian existence. By receiving being communicants of the body and blood of Jesus Christ we become sharers are made participants in the divine life in an ever more adult and conscious way. Here too, we can apply It is worthwhile [literally, "valuable"] to recall Saint Augustine's words, in his Confessions, about the eternal Logos as the food of our souls, food for the soul. Stressing the mysterious Extolling the paradoxical nature of this food, Augustine the saintly Doctor [of the Church] imagines hearing [the Lord saying to him]: "I am the food of grown men; grow, and you shall feed upon me; nor shall you change me, like the food of your flesh, into yourself, but you shall be changed into me." (198) It is not the eucharistic food that is changed into us, but rather we who are mysteriously transformed by it. Christ nourishes us by uniting us to himself; "he draws us into himself."(199)

Here the eucharistic celebration appears is manifested in all its power as the source and summit of the Church's life, since it expresses at once the same time both the origin and the fulfilment of the new and definitive worship of God, the logiké latreía. (200) Saint Paul's exhortation words to the Romans in this regard is a concise description are the greatest summation of how the Eucharist makes our whole life a spiritual worship pleasing to God: "I appeal to you therefore, my brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship" (Rom 12:1). In these words this exhortation the new worship appears as a total self-offering offering of one's own person made in communion with the whole Church. The Apostle's insistence on the offering of our bodies emphasizes underscores the concrete human reality of a worship which is anything but disincarnate. The Bishop saint of Hippo goes on to say continues to remind us that "this is the sacrifice of Christians: that we, though many, are the many become one body in Christ. The Church celebrates this mystery in the sacrament of the altar, as the faithful know well, and there in it she shows them clearly that in what is offered, she herself is offered." (201) Catholic doctrine, in fact, affirms that the Eucharist, as the sacrifice of Christ, is also the sacrifice of the Church, and thus of all the faithful. (202) This The insistence on sacrifice – a "making sacred" – expresses all the existential depth implied density involved in the transformation of our human reality as taken up by which Christ has won [for us] (cf. Phil 3:12).

The all-encompassing effect of eucharistic worship

71. Christianity's The new Christian worship includes and transfigures every encompasses all aspects of life, transforming them: "Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God" (1 Cor 10:31). Christians , in all their actions, are called to offer make of all their actions true worship to God. Here the From this the intrinsically eucharistic nature of Christian life begins to take takes its shape. The Eucharist, since it embraces the concrete, everyday existence involving as it does the everyday human reality of the believer, makes possible, day by day, the progressive transfiguration of all thoseman, called by grace to reflect the image of the Son of God (cf. Rom 8:29ff.). There is nothing authentically human – our thoughts and affections, our words and deeds – that does not find in the sacrament of the Eucharist the adequate form it needs to be lived to the full. Here we can see the full human import is visible the whole anthropological value of the radical newness brought by Christ in the Eucharist: the worship of God in our lives the human existence cannot be remain relegated to something private and individual a particular [and] private moment, but tends, by its [very] nature it tends to permeate every aspect all facets of our existence. Worship pleasing to God thus becomes is therefore converted into a new way of living our whole life every element [literally "adjunct"] of our existence, each particular moment singular element of which is lifted up since it is exalted, due to it being lived as part of within a relationship with Christ and as an offering to God. The glory of God is the living man (cf. 1 Cor 10:31). And the life of man is the vision of God. (203)

1 Comments:

  • At 8:57 AM, May 08, 2007 , Blogger MICHAEL said...

    About 3 years ago I dropped into a black hole – four months of absolute terror. I wanted to end my life, but somehow [Holy Spirit], I reached out to a friend who took me to hospital. I had three visits [hospital] in four months – I actually thought I was in hell. I imagine I was going through some sort of metamorphosis [mental, physical & spiritual]. I had been seeing a therapist [1994] on a regular basis, up until this point in time. I actually thought I would be locked away – but the hospital staff was very supportive [I had no control over my process]. I was released from hospital 16th September 1994, but my fear, pain & shame had only subsided a little. I remember this particular morning waking up [home] & my process would start up again [fear, pain, & shame]. No one could help me, not even my therapist [I was terrified]. I asked Jesus Christ to have mercy on me & forgive me my sins. Slowly, all my fear has dissipated & I believe Jesus delivered me from my “psychological prison.” I am a practicing Catholic & the Holy Spirit is my friend & strength; every day since then has been a joy & blessing. I deserve to go to hell for the life I have led, but Jesus through His sacrifice on the cross, delivered me from my inequities. John 3: 8, John 15: 26, are verses I can relate to, organically. He’s a real person who is with me all the time. I have so much joy & peace in my life, today, after a childhood spent in orphanages [England & Australia]. God LOVES me so much. Fear, pain, & shame, are no longer my constant companions. I just wanted to share my experience with you [Luke 8: 16 – 17].

    Peace Be With You
    Micky

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home