Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Essential thinking for reading Catholics.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Happy Feast Day To Me!

And the Holy Father, and Fr. Joseph "Joey" Carola, SJ and Joe K., SJ. (the following is a riff off my post of 3/19/07)

Happy feast day to me,
Happy feast day to me,
Happy Feast of St. Joseph the Worker ,
Happy feast day to me!

(Again!)

Of course, that's not how it goes.

But, I feel a special rapport with St. Joseph. After all, he was a "dad" and I'm a dad. We share a name (along with the Holy Father, so we're a snappy club of all-around good guys). He was known as a carpenter and...um...did I mention the name thing? Well, at any rate we were both self-employed.

This is a great prayer for all of us who have been given some special talents by God, that we may use these talents and skills for His greater glory:

Glorious Saint Joseph, model of all who pass their life in labor, obtain for me the grace to work in a spirit of penance to atone for my many sins; to work conscientiously, putting the call of duty above my own inclinations; to work with gratitude and joy, considering it an honor to use and develop by my labor the gifts I have received from God; to work with order, peace, moderation and patience, without ever recoiling before weariness or difficulties.

Help me to work, above all, with purity of intention and with detachment from self, having always before my eyes the hour of death and the accounting which I must render of time lost, talents wasted, good omitted, and vain complacency in success, which is so fatal to the work of God. All for Jesus, all for Mary, all after your example, O Patriarch Joseph! This shall be my watchword in life and in death. Amen

Seeing as how St. Joseph is my "name saint" and seeing as how St. Joseph is a very well-connected sort of intercessor, I am reminded by the very estimable Veritas that if something is (duh!) God's will, and we prayerfully ask for his (St. Joseph's, not Veritas'...at least not yet)intercession on its behalf, he will grant us.

Anyway, as I have mentioned previously, we have a son who has been diagnosed with autism. Through the very powerful effects of prayer from ma-a-a-a-a-any, we have been very blessed to find doctors, teachers, therapists, treatments, etc. that have enabled our son to make remarkable progress. But there are still many "miles to go before I sleep."

So on behalf of our 8 year old, Davy, I'm -- feel free to jump right on in -- praying for St. Joseph's intercession:



O God,


Who in Thine ineffable Providence didst choose


Blessed Joseph to be the spouse of Thy most Holy Mother,


grant that as we venerate him as our protector on earth,


we may deserve to have him as our intercessor in Heaven,


[I think this is where the intention/request goes]


Thou Who livest and reignest forever and ever.

Amen.

AMDG,

-J.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home