Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Essential thinking for reading Catholics.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

...a Meme Christmas to all, and to all a g'night

OK, I have some catching up to do, so I'm taking the easy way out. I'm doing a meme I have brazenly pilfered from an email just received.

Ready?

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Gift bags. I am male and therefore too inept to wrap neatly and too lazy not to toss something in a bag. If the store whence the gift came originally -- I do my shopping on eBay and Amazon -- is posh enough, then my job here is done.

2. Real tree or artificial?
Fake. I have appalling allergies to conifers; my beloved didn't believe me when we were first married, and so I let her get a natural tree the first year...she still wakes up in a cold sweat.

3. When do you put up the tree?
Thanksgiving Saturday.

4. When do you take the tree down?
Immediately following Epiphany. January 7.

5. Do you like eggnog?
Nah. Tastes like someone spiked custard with vodka and tried to cover that error with nutmeg.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?
My gifts always sucked dead wombats as a child.

7. Do you have a nativity scene?
Yes. This old intricately carved thing from Spain. Every year we get a new cast member.

8. Hardest person to buy for?
Me. I'm, uh, a complete and utter PITA very particular.

9. Easiest person to buy for?
TFBIM. Something in the jewelry vein that is not too "bling" and not too "funky" and I'm set.

10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
My parents got me a beard-trimmer three years ago. I've never had a beard. You'd figure that my parents who see me, on average, thrice weekly, would know that.

11. Mail or email Christmas cards?
Mail. Not to say I hand-write most of them, but I do mail them, given that with a word processing software's mail-merge function and a printer one can be done with it in oh, 20 minutes, I fail to see the stress in this task.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie?
Hmm. A Christmas Story. My favorite TV show is A Charlie Brown Christmas. Not a real big Grinch fan ovah heah.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
Dec. 26th.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
If I've ever given you anything, or you've given me anything, the answer is "No, of course, not."

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Nougat.

16. Clear lights or colored on the tree?
Clear.

17. Favorite Christmas song?
Religious: Adeste Fideles. (Yes, in Latin. That's just the kind of guy I am.)

Secular: Run, Run Rudolph by Chuck Berry or B-b-b-blue Christmas by Porky Pig.

I know, I know...I am SUCH a child.

18. Travel for Christmas or stay home?
Stay home. Keep in mind that Christ -- and it is His birthday we celebrate -- said to pick up our cross and follow Him, and I can think of no better way to do just that very thing than to let my family inflict itself upon me.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeers?
Yes.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star?
Star. It is a wire star, and I stuffed it full of tree lights, for added excellentness.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
Christmas morning. We're too beat after enduring my extended family and then hearing Midnight Mass to do anything else.

We also don't do that "open up one gift on Christmas Eve" stuff.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?
My family, which I should specify is my mother's side. My father's side is almost all in Spain (except for the ones shot by the proponents of socialized medicine during the Spanish Civil War or the proponents of socialized medicine in Cuba).

23. What I love most about Christmas?
Christmas is just okay in the cultural sort of way. I love getting people gifts they will love, but people usually never give me anything that's all that great. The best part is our Boxing Day Brunch and then immediately flying off somewhere.

New Year's is pretty good, though.

I hereby issue due taggery upon Mark, Veritas, Karen, Ryan & M2.

-J.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home