Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Essential thinking for reading Catholics.

Thursday, January 10, 2008

GC35 and me.

Why should any of you "listen" to me?

Who am I to discuss anything related to GC35, or the Society of Jesus?

By what authority do I write what I write?

As Gag Halfrunt said of Zaphod Beeblebrox, I'm "just this guy, y'know?"

I claim no special inside knowledge of the Society of Jesus, no particularly spectacular revelation directly zapped into my brain by the Holy Spirit. I'm as sinful as anyone else -- probably more so -- and I'm as flawed as anyone else.

What I do here, especially as relates to Jesuits and the Society of Jesus is share anything I have found of interest, and comment on it. Sometimes I laud what I see, sometimes I share my sorrow and despair. What I think and say and do here is always informed with an abiding gratitude for the Society and to St. Ignatius, and with unwavering adherence to the doctrines of Holy Mother Church.

Sometimes I ask what may seem to be pointed or impertinent questions, sometimes I highlight things which might've otherwise be papered over. But the intention is always loving (even when it's corrective) and never malicious and always striving to be as charitable as my meager capacity for goodness will allow.

You'll see no rejoicing in foibles, no delight in failings, no mirth in errors. The goal here, as I have said since Day One, is not hectoring but persuading.

I love the Society, and I am inexpressively grateful for all the Jesuits I can count as friends (or friends-in-formation) even when disagreements divide us* on a given topic. What I do is borne of love and caring, even if sometimes it pains me to do.

And so, to prayer,

-J.

*To them I say: I'm not giving up on you. ;-)

2 Comments:

  • At 10:59 PM, January 10, 2008 , Blogger milanta said...

    Hola, siempre me doy una vuelta por tu blog. Ahora que leo, casi por todos lados, hablar de los Jesuitas y de la CG35 y con cada opinión que transmite un poco de disconformidad y hasta crítica ácida; leer este post tuyo ayuda para centrar la mirada en lo más importante para quienes conocemos y trabajamos cerca a los jesuitas: orar por ellos muchísimo. No parar de pedir gracia y amor para ellos y así tomen sabias decisiones. Un abrazo.

     
  • At 12:31 AM, January 11, 2008 , Blogger Joe said...

    Gracias por pasar por mi blog.

    Oremos, pues...y que Dios nos escuche.

    AMDG,

    -J.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home