Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Essential thinking for reading Catholics.

Monday, February 04, 2008

In a related story...

OK.

Every Saturday, at our parish, we offer confirmandi the opportunity to earn Service Hours* by participating in a clean-up. They sweep and pick up, replace candles...that sort of stuff. Among the tasks with which they are charged is to go through the missal holders and clean out the gum wrappers, old crayons, leftover wedding invitations, etc.

I sent most of the kids to do the main floor, but I sent a couple up to the balcony. About 10 minutes later one of them comes back, eyes bulging: "Mr. G.! Mr. G.! Mr. G.! Look! Look! Look! I found this." He handed me the Eucharist, in the form of a consecrated host, snapped roughly in half and looking a bit worse for wear. "Mr. G., we have to burn this, right?"

"Uh, no. Gimme." and I consumed, dirt an all. I then went into a riff on what the Eucharist really is. Our Lord, Jesus Christ truly and really present, Body and Blood and Soul and Divinity. There is nothing as important -- ever -- than how we treat Christ when he is physically present in our midst. Yes, other things are also important. I'm thinking of all those we-see-the-face-of-Christ moments with those who need our help; but NOTHING is as important as how we treat the Blessed Sacrament. Nothing. Period. End of story, don't even think to argue.

Whenever someone starts up with "But, but, but...what about ______?" I remind them of this snippet from Scripture (Mt. 26:7-13):
Now when Jesus was in Bethany, in the house of Simon the leper, there came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he reclined at table. But when His disciples saw it, they had indignation, saying, "To what purpose is this waste? For this ointment might have been sold for much, and given to the poor." When Jesus heard this, He said unto them, "Why trouble ye the woman? She hath wrought a good work upon Me. For ye have the poor always with you; but Me, ye have not always. For in that she hath poured this ointment on My body, she did it for My burial. Verily I say unto ye: Wheresoever this Gospel shall be preached in the whole world, there shall also this, that this woman hath done, be told for a memorial of her.

How DID this consecrated host come to reside in a missal holder on the 2nd floor of a church? By a coarsening of sense of reverence due it. This is in great part due to the taking Communion in the hand. (I'll take it in the hand when I can also partake of the Blood of Christ in the hand.) But don't take my world for it.

AMDG,

-J.

* They need to perform 45 hours of community service in order to be eligible for Confirmation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home