Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Essential thinking for reading Catholics.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

In the words of King Julian XIII of Madagascar...

"After much deep and profound brain things inside my head..." I have decided to shamelessly steal riff from our doings over at SWC and develop a sidebar list for Bishops of Which I -- and since this is my solo blog, what I say goes -- Approve.

The List (to use its current nom de blogge) over at SWC has undergone some debate, etc. as the names contained therein didn't exactly meet with universal approval from fellow Jesuits, who made their concerns pellucidly clear. I harbor no such concerns from the world of bishops.

There are a few that will be going up there just as soon as I can be bothered to work on my sidebar: Abp. Prendergast of Ottawa and Cdl. Bergoglio of Buenos Aires, Abp. Burke of St. Louis, and definitely Bp. Finn of Kansas City. The main problem with the Church (at least in the USA, but I suspect it goes far deeper than that) is not the priests, but the bishops. I forget where I read this, but regardless of specifics the point holds: a tiny fraction of priests were involved in the molestation of children...but a majority of bishops were involved in covering the matter up. So bishops count, especially given what passes for culture today, when they adhere to the notion "friendship with the world is enmity with God."

And this guy, His Excellency, Patrick O'Donoghue, Bishop of Lancaster (UK) will be right on the list.

Where do we get, say, 100 more like him?

-J.