Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Essential thinking for reading Catholics.

Saturday, November 08, 2008

Run, don't walk.

OK.

Let me slap on my Official Catechist Hat.

As an Official Catechist, I am aghast that children are being subjected to books like these.

For those of you unwilling to engage in the click-and-read necessary to get the whole panorama, let me offer you some tidbits. (The more robustly Traditional among you, please brace yourselves.) All emphasis is mine.

Kindergarten: "This is what Saint Francis did. He blessed all the animals."
1st Grade: "Jesus did not want his followers to be afraid. He said to them, “Peace be with you.” (Luke 24:36) Jesus promised his followers that he would send them a helper."
3rd Grade: "Leader: Be still and quiet. Place your hands on your knees with your palms up..." and "At other times we pray with hands folded or with arms open wide. Sometimes people even pray by dancing!"
6th Grade: "As the Book of Genesis continues, we learn that God is greatly displeased with human beings. They were not being faithful stewards of the world."

Not everything in the books is raving heterodoxy, natch. But much of it is wildly vapid (I mean, c'mon, having kids draw even into 4th grade?) and, as my oldest boy would say, "all bongos and kumbaya." The tone is, to me, real-l-l-l-l-ly dumbed-down. The inclusive language is sometimes (not always) jarring and artificial.

This series also has, in my view, a decided list to port. If your parish uses this series my advice is: Constant vigilance!

Oy.

-J.