Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Essential thinking for reading Catholics.

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankfulness

This being Thanksgiving, I thought wise and proper to issue public thanks to God for some things. I mean, yeah, sure, there are the usual things...my wife, my kids, a roof over my head and food on the table. We all know THAT.

So, here are some other things, sort of (but not exactly) in order, for which I am grateful:

• My pal Karen, who usually rants on my behalf so that my family history of hypertension doesn't get nudged awake too often and whom I love to bits. She has, in spades, our Celtic capacity for pathological loyalty and darkness of humor and outlook without being gloomy. She also helps me understand girls better. (Although my limitations in that area are insurmountable.) Finally, she understands me eerily well. I forgive her off-kilter views on college football and motorsports. I'm working on a compare-and-contrast post, so stay tuned.

• My pal MJ, who in the prayer-warrior department is like a paratrooper, SeAL and Force Recon rolled into one.

• The Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles, who in the prayer-warrior dept. are like the 6th Fleet, the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force and the 8th Bomber Wing rolled into one.

• The Society of Jesus, for forming me the way I am. (Credit or blame goes to them.) I'm even grateful for the wayward ones, because they keep me praying at VO2Max.

• The individual Jesuits whom I have met -- some of whom now have causes for sainthood (!) -- who also exemplify holiness and the Church Militant and perseverance under circumstances I cannot even begin to fathom.

• My cyber-sphere of acquaintance who also afford me colossal amounts of e-fellowship.

• All those unnamed gazillions of people who pray for me -- which I need, more than I often realize --and for Davy and his autism. You are always in my prayers.

• Those people who fight the good fight with dignity, grace, and inexhaustible good cheer.

For these and all the others I am -- embarrassedly -- blanking on, I thank you, Lord.

AMDG,

-J.