Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Essential thinking for reading Catholics.

Friday, April 24, 2009

In other news

Last night was Confirmation* at our parish.

The Sacrament was administered** by H.E. Lawrence J. Burke, SJ, Archbishop Emeritus of Kingston, Jamaica.Abp. Lawrence J. Burke, SJ

To be utterly frank, I had never heard Word One about him, so I had no idea what to think. Going by what I experienced last night, I am both moved and impressed. More on that in a subsequent post, but suffice it to say that, absent any late breaking news, Abp. Burke will be getting the highly coveted Action JesuitĀ® designation. Not as snappy as a Cardinal's red hat, but a fine consolation prize.

At any rate, one of the things Abp. Burke revealed in his stellar homily -- wherein he strenuously exhorted the youngsters to always think and feel with the Church -- was that he had developed colon cancer*** and it had metastasized to his liver and lungs.

So, basically, this post's purpose is to ask you to pray for his recovery.

Pray for it right now, s'il vous plait. And keep him in your prayers.

AMDG,

-J.

* One of them, anyway. There are usually too many kids, so it's broken into two, sometimes three, groups.

** He endeared himself to me by issuing the nearly-forgotten "mild slap on the cheek" to the confirmandi.

*** "The prognosis is not good...and because of the chemotherapy, I have lost all my hair and I might need Velcro to keep my miter on."