Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Essential thinking for reading Catholics.

Monday, March 18, 2013

Quick note, on how humility works.

For reasons which God'll understand eleventy squajillion times better than I do, you'll recall, I've translated a few pieces from then-Cdl. Bergoglio/now-Pope Francis. Which is fine and great and all that.

That has led to my being contacted by some Professional CatholicsĀ® on this matter, seeing as how, if someone should squint REALLY hard he can convince himself I am some sort of "expert" on the Holy Father. (I am not, by any means.)

But it is cool to be quoted in the various places as someone with some insight on the thinking of the Pope.

So I was feeling extra-special good about my 15 minutes of fame until I ran across this gem in a combox that put me in my place:
You should try and get his Lenten Letter for this year [LINK] and his 2008 Palm Sunday Homily [LINK] They are great. Though unofficial and rough translations, they give one a sense of his thought and preaching. Perhaps someone could re-translate or touch up these translations.
Ouch!

AMDG,

-J.

P.S. I will grant that my typing is rough...

2 Comments:

  • At 3:39 PM, March 18, 2013 , Blogger Wp said...

    Joe,

    I am the one who posted that. I meant no disrespect or negative criticism. I apologize for my choice of words. I realize now that it appears that way.

    You have provided such a great gift to the Church and many who have tried to find his writings in English. I thank you for that.

    I have been spending a lot of time searching for what I could find of his writings in English and then some Italian and some Spanish (my Italian is better than my Spanish so I use it to cross-reference or clarify an expression made in the translation). Your site and what you posted on somehavehats is a treasure. Please know that I am very grateful for what you have done and hopefully will continue to do.

    I do understand how translations work and the role of native expressions in making some translations difficult to express.

    My comment was actually meant to do two things: to second your statement in the original posts/translations that the translations are unofficial and then to note that one may have to edit them a bit for some small typos here and there. So these other sites shouldn't just copy and paste but copy, edit a little, and then paste ... while, of course, giving you credit for the translation. I have been printing out your translations and passing them around. On a few, I have fixed some of the typos before printing and that was all I was referring to. I apologize if you took the comments as a form of strong criticism against you and your work.

    I wish you all the best and hope you continue to translate what you can of the pre-papal works and then continue on with the papal texts.

    In Christ,

     
  • At 4:16 PM, March 18, 2013 , Blogger JMG said...

    Oh, goodness...no apology needed! Thank you for your very, very kind words.

    (I was just making a point about MY smugness and how I need to be brought back down to earth on a very regular basis.)

    AMDG,

    -J.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home