Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Essential thinking for reading Catholics.

Friday, February 13, 2015

Fifty Shades?

Some assorted thoughts on 50 Shades.

Earlier this week, I was going through one of those forced-march reorganizations of the den, as decreed by my beloved. One of my bookshelves, having been made of particle-board from a now-extinct particle-tree, had decided to return -- without the merest warning or hint -- to its original state of unaffiliated wood-like particles, and the situation had to be rectified.

Anyway, in the process of putting stuff in the new, made from a real tree, bookshelf, I noticed the printouts of stuff I had written. So I decided to separate the "completes" from the "fragments."

One of the fragments was from a very dark comedy I abandoned. It involves a character much like "The Gimp" from Pulp Fiction, and how he, after years and years of wearing chains and leather, admits to all and sundry at dinner one night that he, in fact, is a masochist. (You may readily imagine why this was abandoned, and rest assured it is as dead as a Monty Python parrot. Most of my abandoned stuff is comedy in a very, very dark vein.)

But while I was working on that now-justifiably-abandoned script, I did some research and this ties into my cursory thoughts on 50 Shades.

(Now. I've not read the whole trilogy. I did a 10-10-10 read of one of the books at a bookstore, and was mostly appalled at how poorly written it was and how clearly doomed to failure is anyone whose dialogue is a picometer above The DaVinci Code and 50 Shades.)

What surprised me is that there are people (men and women) who are online, RIGHT NOW, actively seeking (!) what everyone is calling an abusive relationship. It's one thing, I guess, to get into a relationship with "normal" expectations and then having it turn (or realizing it is) abusive. But quite another to make a great effort to find such a relationship.

What to make of this, I know not. But I remember seeing how many of the people seeking this sort of relationship were adamant THEY had the power because THEY were the ones who freely choose to "grant their submission." They call that type of relationship "Total Power Ex¢hange" (I'm messing with the spelling so as not to have this blog overrun by people Googling the wrong thing.)

And then two things struck me at the time (and partly why I abandoned the above comedy) is that those seeking to be abused treated and spoke of the object of their search the way someone else may consider God. They expressed a desire to "give themselves totally and unreservedly" to that special man or woman, they often capitalized "Him" or "Her" or "You" and so forth.

That, for a number of reasons, these people have a God-shaped void in their lives is apparent to me now.